Tuesday 26 February 2013

Cathedral blanket

I had the day off work today and was able to spend it relaxing and starting my next crochet project. It's another blanket - after this I really must make something that is not a blanket! In my defence this blanket idea has been lurking in my head for nearly 2 years now, so I think its about time it had its day!

I'm calling it my cathedral blanket, but its really inspired by stained glass windows in general. Whenever S and I visit anywhere with a cathedral or church, we always take a look. I've seen some beautiful stained glass windows on these visits: these are from a small Chapel in the grounds of Edinburgh Castle, which we visited last summer:




My plan is to make granny squares and join them using black yarn to create a similar effect to a stained glass window. I've chosen lots of bright colours, as well as the left overs in my stash to create this, and already I have a small pile of granny squares! I'm making small squares to get the effect of little pieces of glass.




I think its going to be a lot of fun to make, and I look forward to sharing its progress with you!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

5 comments:

  1. Hello Jen, Your yarn colors do reflect the stain glass in the churches. And the black with frame them beautifully. I look forward to seeing your blanket finished. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely colours! They certainly do remind me of a stained glass church window. I'll look forward to seeing the blanket too :) Elisabeth x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen some examples of this on Ravelry and am always stunned by how effective they look. Those colours are perfect x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm intrigued to see your cathedral blanket in it's full array, have you finished it yet? Do you have any pictures of the other blankets you've made?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,

      Yes, I finished this one a little while ago - check out my post about it here: http://lavenderwildrose.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/i-am-happy-sun-is-shining-its-weekend.html - I'd love to know what you think!

      Jen x

      Delete

I love to read all your comments, so if you have a question to ask or just something to say, please leave me a message and I'll reply!