Sunday 27 October 2013

Sunburst Squares

Hello everyone, I hope you're ok. I've heard it's going to be a stormy night here tonight - lots of wind and rain etc. So what better excuse for snuggling down with some crochet in a warm place?!

Since last time I have been working on these Sunburst Squares.



I see a lot of these around on Pinterest, and other blogs. I have sort of resisted making them so far, just because everyone seems to make them! However, I think I've been sort of cutting my nose off to spite my face.


The other week I was contemplating my big pile of colourful yarn, wondering what to do with it all. As you may remember I started making African Flowers. Then sort of lost momentum. They are quite time consuming to make, and I somehow couldn't see myself making anything very useful from them. Thanks to those of you who suggested various things to make from the little pile of squares I had though - your suggestions are duly noted, and perhaps when I have some time....

Well, anyway, back to the Sunburst Squares.



I think the thing that attracted me to them in the end was the 3d effect created by the puff stitch in the second round. It reminds me of the something pretty flower squares which I had so much fun making at the start of the year. 

The Sunburst pattern I'm using is from the book 'The Gentle Art of Knitting', which I love for it's laid back attitude towards craft.

I haven't managed to make many of my Sunburst Squares yet. Over the last 2 weeks I've managed to make about 40. I'm aiming for a blanket, but this is going to be a slow process. That doesn't bother me though. I'm taking my time, only working on the squares when I feel like it, rather than in a mad rush. I normally crochet or knit in every spare second I have, but lately I'm feeling ok with taking things at a slower pace. I think this will be a good thing for me. I still really enjoy my crafting, but it's about getting a balance with all the other important things in life right now, and that's healthy I think.

********************************************************

There has been some more glorious autumn whether here this week. I know I've already shared so many autumn colour and leaf pictures already, but I can't stop myself showing you some more!


These leaves (above) look so perfect don't they? I almost stepped right over them one lunch time last week. They look like they've been deliberately arranged, and it tickled my fancy so I had to take a snap.





These other pictures are from a park nearby where I live - on a glorious day last week!

*********************************************************

Hope the rest of you are all doing ok. Happy Sunday all, hope you're enjoying some gentle crafting too!


Follow on Bloglovin

6 comments:

  1. Your sun burst squares are gourgeous, and yes getting ready for the storm tonight.Hope it doesn't cause to much damage x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jen! I love those little sun burst squares even though I too have been resisting starting a project with them. I've had my eye on those African flower squares but haven't tried making any, yet! :D Your idea of taking things a little more slowly at a more balanced pace sounds good as well as healthy... I think fall has something to do with that as well. We tend to slow our pace and nestle down inside when the weather turns chilly. I tend to have sudden bursts of all out energy and then everything goes all quiet for a bit. I modulate between slow and slower most of the time as I am definitely a tortoise in life! :D
    Thanks for the lovely fall photos with all those vivid colors to inspire us!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Sunbursts Jen, they are definitely full of sunshine with their bright vibrating colours. Thanks also for the lovely autumnal leaves, what beautiful pics!
    I agree entirely with your words re taking things a bit more slowly and gaining a balance - it's an attitude I need to adopt before I send myself loopy!!!
    Have a lovely week! Hugs, Joy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the sunburst squares - hate the wind, it's quite scary at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely blog. Full of inspiration. I admire your knitting and crochet skills. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all your comments, so if you have a question to ask or just something to say, please leave me a message and I'll reply!