Sunday 2 June 2013

Lazy Sunday

I think I may have developed a split personality when it comes to crochet. I love making things in bright colours and using lots of different colours together, but I also love a more restrained colour palette and choice and the more vintage vibe that you seem to get when working with one colour, but in a more complex stitch.

 I spent my crochet time yesterday working on the Erika Knight hexagon blanket I'm making, and spent today playing working on another pastel toned blanket!


I started working on this blanket at the start of May, but have only worked on it sporadically since then, so progress has been slow.


Do you remember my Cathedral Blanket? Well this project is going to be a pastel version of that, with pale cream seaming instead of black.

I'm using far fewer colours (about 8 different shades) and I think I will arrange the colours at random rather than having them in order like I did for the Cathedral Blanket.


Whilst working on this I've also been daydreaming about making more pastel coloured cushion covers with mother of pearl button fastenings - hence my not being able to resist getting out my button collection and playing in these pictures!


I was also tempted this afternoon to try out a starburst stitch. I haven't tried this kind of stitch for a while because the last time I tried, a few years ago, I couldn't seem to get the hang of it.


This piece is at a very early stage - its quite time consuming to do, but I love the result - it looks beautiful in the ivory yarn, and has such as lovely vintage feel to it. I think its the sort of thing a Victorian or Edwardian lady would use! I'm not sure quite what this piece will be yet, but it's only quite a small sample, so it will probably end up being a jewellery case or similar. 

Happy Sunday everyone!

xx xxx xx xxx xx xxx xx xxx xx xxx xx

Follow on Bloglovin

7 comments:

  1. Oh I know what you mean -my taste changes like the weather! Your pastel squares are lovely but that shell stitch is gorgeous - never tried that stitch but it looks very effective. Happy Sunday x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jen - I just popped over from Shari's place (Kashmere Kisses) to have a quick look and am so happy I did. What a beautiful blog you have here - your work is gorgeous!
    I must say the split personality thing strikes a chord with me too when it comes to yarn colours - I just keep changing back and forth!
    I have had a quick look back through some of your posts and am very taken with your hexagon throw - it is an absolute delight and you have inspired me to give your very generously offered pattern a go! Thank you!
    I have joined up as one of your followers and would welcome you at my place any time you wish to make a trip over!
    Joy x

    joyjinkscreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jen :)

    I just found your blog from Pinterest and have become a follower already- I love that you like to use pastels and single shades for your creations... me too, so your pictures are a wonderful inspiration!! :) I'm a fairly novice crocheter myself but love it and it's great to find another great blog to feed my addiction!!lol :)
    hugs, Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jen, Your pastel color granny squares are very pretty. All your photos are very inspiring and lovely. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hiya, I stumbled across your blog and your work is so pretty!! I love the shell stitch creation - i have been going nuts trying to copy it, but cant get the pattern correct as i am trying to make a bigger bed spread sort of thing - would you be able to help me by writing out the pattern please? I think its a multiple of 20 + 6 is that right? how can i adjust the pattern for a wider throw? thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI there, and thanks!

      The starburst (or Catherine Wheel as it is also known) stitch came from a stitch dictionary, so sadly I can't reproduce it online for you - I'd be breaking the copyright of the writer/publisher of the stitch dictionary if I did. However, I have found something on another website which may help you: http://www.crochetspot.com/crochet-pattern-starburst-throw/

      Food luck!

      Jen

      Delete
    2. Thank you Jen, thats awesome! i keep meaning to start blogging too but dont get time with all the crafty stuff and work!! cant imagine how you keep up =) i certainly dont want you to break copyright or anything like that - thought it was something you had designed....i think i can loan the book from the library and have a try though. and i will also try from the site you posted =) thanks soooo much!!

      Delete

I love to read all your comments, so if you have a question to ask or just something to say, please leave me a message and I'll reply!